Wednesday 28 December 2011

The pathetic story of a man that lost his 4 daughters at the Madalla bomb blast on christmas day


The pathetic story of a man that lost his 4 daughters at the Madalla bomb blast on christmas day

Mr. Emmanuel Obiukwu, a knight of Saint John Catholic Church and a taxi driver at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, lost four daughters in the Madalla bomb blast on Christmas Day. His wife and another daughter were injured and are now receiving treatment at the National Hospital, Abuja. Obiukwu said he fled from riots in Kano in 1991 when one of the daughters who died was born, only for them to be bombed in Madalla.
 Can you recall what happened?It was around 8am, everybody was going out with his family. People were there on the road commanding, directing. So, I was at the front of the church. By then my children and my wife had rubbed powder for the mass. They went out. So, I gave them key to my car. So, I told them to cross over and go to enter the car so that I can put off my warden dress. I was discussing with my partner. I told him I wanted to go and drop my children because I was coming back for 10 o’clock mass because we had two masses. As they were going, they had reached road (side). They stood, four of them they wanted to cross. Where I was, I was just looking. So, unconsciously, the other daughter that is here now, that survived, was following them. Chiamaka. She was born in 1991. She is in Elele (Madonna University) University. As I stepped out from the church, I heard one thunderous noise. Because the church has a pavement roof up the church, I thought they planted the thing up of the church. I hid behind one of the pillars. I saw dust everywhere. But as I got myself together because nothing touched me, I looked out. I saw fire. I saw all those cars burning. My children had not crossed so they were there on the spot where the bomb blasted. So, four of them I have not seen them up to now after admitting my wife and that second daughter here yesterday (Sunday) so that we will know their conditions before we will start looking for the other one. So, after we admitted them, we started going round the whole Abuja. After that General hospital Suleja, we could not see any person. So, I told my people. All the corpses we saw were burnt beyond recognition. Even the one I saw here (National Hospital) and Gwagwalada are beyond recognition. The people I saw I couldn’t recognise them because the main place they stood to cross was the main site of the blast. So, up till now I have not been able to recognise any of them. The one I wanted to identify, they said the owners have claimed the bodies.
 Now that you are yet to recognize their bodies, are you still hopeful that any of them may surface any day or you are giving up on?
 Nothing is impossible for God, but I believe they are gone because of the incidence there. That was my belief, but I still have hope when God by miracle raise them from death anywhere, I will accept. But for me as a human being I saw the incidence and I was there, I doubt. The four of them are gone. 
Are your children males or females?
 All of them are girls. The senior daughter is in the university. She is about to finish this year at FUT Minna. The other two are about to finish secondary school this year. The other ones are twins. They have finished SS3. The one that was about to finish the University was born in 1988
 What of the twins?  
The twins were born in 1994 because the senior to the twins was born during the Kano riots because we took her away from Kano riot in 1991, from Kano to Abuja here. That one was born in 1991. So, those twins should be around 1993 or so and the last. What are their names? Chiamaka, which is the surviving one now, is here. Then Chioma, which is among those ones I am looking for, is the most senior. The third one, my boy, survived like me, nothing touched him. He is senior to the twins; Ifeoma and Uchechukwu. And the last one, Chidinma Obiukwu, is in JSS3

No comments:

Post a Comment